Thursday, September 27, 2012

Who am I

FYI---this was written in my IPhone so I am sure there are mistakes!!! It has been a long time since I have written on my blog! Lots have happened since my last post...deaths of family and friends, marriage of my children, the birth of two grandchildren...I could go on and on but that's for another time. Today I want to write about my journey this week with my brother, Dave. He is on week one of his second session of chemo and radiation treatments. He has to stay in Indy during the week. I was blessed and honored to be the first one to spend the week with him. We have an apartment through Fair Haven ( more about them at a later date) next to IU Med. which makes our trips back and forth each day a breeze even for me. Dave probably would disagree with that last statement! Our first day here was overwhelming and we had trouble finding the Infusion Department. Ninety-nine percent of the time most people are very helpful. They usually ask before you have time to ask them for help. We had finally found what we thought was the correct elevator ( if you have ever been there you would understand that) and got in with two other people-a RN (Tina) who had her lunch in hand and a person with a name tag that said "Chaplin". As the elevator stared up my brother told the Chaplin he was there for his first chemo treatment and was wondering if this was the right elevator. All Mr Chaplin said was "no". There was an awkward silence until Tina said "no you are not but I will take you there. She went back to the main floor and across to the other side of the hospital to the correct elevator, rode with us to the second floor and took us to the infusion department. She told my brother good luck and we told her how much we appreciated her help and she went on her way. By the time Dave was taken back and I was in the waiting room all alone is when I lost it. The story of the Good Samaritan keep coming to mind (Luke 10:25-37) and hasn't left my mind all week. Today I read the passage again. I have to ask myself this: how many times have I been the Priest or the Levite ( the Chaplin)in the story. How many times had I been walking down the road and passed on the other side. I shutter to think how many times I did it knowingly or because I was just in my own world and wasn't aware that someone needed help. Lord forgive me...open my eyes and heart to the people that are around me that need help. Help me not take for granted the opportunities that are placed before me. Father, I pray that you would give me a heart full of compassion. A heart like Jesus has for people. Remind me how much smiles, the hello how are you from many, the help from lots of people meant to me this week! Help me not walk on the other side because of fear or because I am to busy. God bless the Tina's of this world as we run this race...

No comments: