Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Crying out to Jesus

Walking with Jesus: Crossing the Sea of Galilee
Mark 4:39-41: Jesus calms the disciples' anxieties

Awake now, he told the wind to pipe down and said to the sea, "Quiet! Settle down!" The wind ran out of breath; the sea became smooth as glass. Jesus reprimanded the disciples: "Why are you such cowards? Don't you have any faith at all?" They were in absolute awe, staggered. "Who is this, anyway?" they asked. "Wind and sea at his beck and call!"

Meditation: Miracles

Is God in the tears of statues or in the tears of a starving child? Is God in the loud claims of healers or in the cries of a lonely widow afraid to go out of her home? Is God in the Jesus-like markings on the side of a building, or bomb and shell craters in a town that has seen war? And if God is not in those, is God not miraculously, marvelously and wonderfully present in the giving, the loving, the acting and the doing that offers food, comfort and protection to those who weep and wonder and live in fear?

It is easy to look for God in magic moments. It is also easy to forget the presence, power, and purpose of God that we see every day in the thousands of miracles affecting the world.

"Do you seek Jesus who was crucified?" asked the angel at the tomb. "He is not here, He has risen. Go and tell..."

Jesus is still not confined to our expectations, whims or wishes--for signs and wonders. Jesus is alive and at work in the world, in my life. How can I, today, tell others about him? Sometimes actions speak louder than words so what is my actions going to be today? With so many people struggling with being unhealthy, am I going to be an example today to others or am I going to just give up because it is so hard? Am I going to remember that today the same God who calmed the wind and the sea can help me with this stronghold in my life? I'm crying out to Jesus to help me just take it one day at a time, one hour at a time, one minute at a time and if need be one second at a time. I must keep moving forward no matter how hard it is or how long it will take. I must go through this mountain because for to many years now I have just went around and around it. Time to move forward and to keep Walking with Jesus.....

No comments: