Monday, December 15, 2008

The Bread of Life

Walking with Jesus: To the Synagogue to Teach
Luke 13:20-21: Jesus teaches the Parable of the Leaven

In these verses the Kingdom of God is described as yeast that penetrates the dough. It talks about how a small amount of leaven will affect a whole mass of dough. This parable wants us to realize the power and influence a "small" amount has.

So the question is, how can I apply this application to my life? I was reminded about the time a few months ago when I received a "starter dough" with a recipe from a friend. Each day I had a task to do to the dough. Some days the recipe instructed me to "knead" it. Other days I had to "feed" it. But each day for 10 days I had something I had to do with the dough so that the leaven would continue to grow and not die. At the end of the 10 days, I had 3 "starter bags" of dough to give away, one to keep to start the whole process over again and one that I could bake into yummy sweet bread.

So what does this story have to do with the verses for today. I believe this is what these verses are saying to me. That for the "leaven" to be active in my life each day I must do the following:
1. Each day I must keep my eyes fixed on Jesus;
2. Each day I must despise the things of this world;
3. Each day I must remain in God's word;
4. Each day I must look forward to Christ's return but continue His work while I wait;
5. Each day I must continually listen to and for the voice of the Holy Spirit;
6. Each day I must be willing to suffer for the cause;
7. Each day I must fight against evil;
8. Each day I must defend the gospel;
9. Each day I must put on the full armor of God;
10. Each day I must "give away" Christ's love to other so that it can grow in their lives. And someday I will be able to be in the presence of The Bread of Life. Until then, I will keep Walking toward the goal my Savior has for me.....

No comments: