Monday, October 20, 2008

From Nazareth to the Jordan River

I spent the last 3 days logging my daily steps. At the end of each of these days, I would think to myself "Are you kidding me!!! That's all the steps I made today!!" It was a real eye opening experience to see how many actual steps I made. I won't share how many but there is lots of room for improvement!!! So now that I know my average, I have added 2000 steps to that total and that will be my goal each day for the next week. The one thing that I know about these 2000 extra steps is the fact that I will have to "plan" on getting them in each day. So now my chose is what do I give up? What in my daily routine doesn't need to be there? I'm at a fork in the road and depending on which way I go will determine if I am successful on getting healthy. I could take the road that is easy and not make any changes or I could take the road that will be very challenging and run the race that God has called me to run. God didn't say that it would be easy but He did say that in the end it sure would be worth it!!.

Today in my Bible study the scripture was from Mark 1:2-7 called Walking with Jesus: From Nazareth to hear John the Baptist at the Jordan River. (Someday Sandy, we will go there and walk that path!!!) The meditation was called "ON A MISSION". It talked about this young pastor in a small congregation and how he set out a calculated plan designed to increase attendance and enlarge the membership. Planned all these "programs" but all his planing didn't work. One Sunday a gritty old farmer joined the church. His gruff, crude speech irritated and embarrassed the pastor. The pastor even wished that the old farmer would find another congregation to attend. During this time the old farmer would pick up people and children in his broken-down van and take them to church. As the months passed the church became full of new faces. And in his deepest moments of reflection, the pastor knew that the old farmer was making it happen. This old farmer who was unqualified by worlds standards, unkempt, loud and irritating. One day the pastor ask the old farmer, "how do you do it?" and the old farmer was puzzled. He said "I don't know, I just know I must do it....

As I start this season of my life, I also know that I must do it. I have tried all the "programs" and none have worked so I am going back to the basic. Duh!!! Something as simple as adding steps to my day, keeping my focus on Walking with Jesus.

2 comments:

Leah Robinson said...

I know you can do it! You are such an inspiration to me!!!

Lisa said...

I know you can do it too Marilyn! Once you put your mind to something and commit it to God, there is nothing that can move you from accomplishing it! You go sister!