Friday, October 24, 2008

Walking on the Beach

Title for today is Walking with Jesus: Walking by the Sea of Galilee. Scripture is taken from Mark 1:19-20 (from the Message) where Jesus calls James and John to be followers. How Jesus was walking down the beach and saw the brothers. They were in their boats mending their fishnets. How right off, he made the offer to them and the text says "immediately" they left their dad, their boat and hired hands and followed. That is the kind of person I strive to be. That when Jesus calls, I know His voice and I immediately response.

The meditation is continued from yesterday's poem...I want to follow, Lord. But have You set me on the wrong way? Was I not meant for things other than plowing a path through the same old tasks that need to be done again? Was I not meant for more than pushing though the stubborn ground so that others could enjoy the fruits of new life? Was I not meant for bigger and better things than clinging to a plodding plow? When I follow You, Lord, is this the way? I will follow you , Lord--on this same day. I will follow because I know no other way. But more importantly--I ask You to follow me. When my eye strays to the greener in the nearby meadow, or when my ear longs for the laughter I think I hear from over the hill. Then I will depend on You to follow me, Lord. And set my hands anew on the plow, and give me the joy of knowing that my hand is exactly where You and I both want it to be. I WILL FOLLOW YOU, LORD.

Ouch!! Double ouch. If you have known me for any length of time then you know that my job is doing the same old stuff everyday. And yes, I complaint about it alot. There are many days (okay every day) I ask myself why am I in this job. I really get so weary doing the same old same old each day. I often see "greener" jobs in the nearby meadows and I often hear the "laughter over the hill" and I long to feel that I am being useful. I am so sorry Lord for complaining about my job all the time. I pray that you would set my hands anew of the plow and that I would find the joy of knowing that my hand is exactly where You want me to be. I WILL FOLLOW YOU, LORD.......

No comments: