Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Harvest time

Walking with Jesus: Preaching Beside the Sea
Mark 4:3-9, 26-29 Parable of the Sower

3 "Listen. What do you make of this? A farmer planted seed. 4 As he scattered the seed, some of it fell on the road and birds ate it. 5 Some fell in the gravel; it sprouted quickly but didn't put down roots, 6 so when the sun came up it withered just as quickly. 7 Some fell in the weeds; as it came up, it was strangled among the weeds and nothing came of it. 8 Some fell on good earth and came up with a flourish, producing a harvest exceeding his wildest dreams. 9 "Are you listening to this? Really listening?"

26 Then Jesus said, "God's kingdom is like seed thrown on a field by a man 27 who then goes to bed and forgets about it. The seed sprouts and grows - he has no idea how it happens. 28 The earth does it all without his help: first a green stem of grass, then a bud, then the ripened grain. 29 When the grain is fully formed, he reaps - harvest time!

Jesus uses this parable to tell how the gospel will be received in the world. Three truths may be learned. 1. Conversion and fruitfulness depend on how one responds to God's Word; 2. A mixed reaction to the gospel by the world. Some who hear will not understand, others will believe unto salvation but will later fall away, still others will believe unto salvation, persevere and bear fruit in varying degrees.

The big question is where do I stand in these truths? I know I can only persevere with God's strength. Again Deut. 30:11 comes to mind....What you are commanding me today is not too difficult for me or beyond my reach.....What's God asking of me today? Am I listening? Am I preparing for the harvest?


I'll leave you with this prayer. Not sure who wrote it but I like it....

Dear God,
When there is a harvest,
let me sow an offering.

When new growth is trampled flat,
let me sow a seed of hope.

When days are dim,
let me sow a light.

When nights are much too dark,
let me sow a promise.

When a heart is broken down,
let me sow a kiss of peace.

When minds are tightly shut,
let me sow a dream.

When a soul needs one more breath,
let me sow a seed of love.

Keep Walking with Jesus.....

No comments: