Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Seed

Walking with Jesus: On His Journey to Jerusalem
Mark 4:30-32 Parable of the Mustard Seed

30 Again he said, "What shall we say the kingdom of God is like, or what parable shall we use to describe it? 31 It is like a mustard seed, which is the smallest seed you plant in the ground. 32 Yet when planted, it grows and becomes the largest of all garden plants, with such big branches that the birds of the air can perch in its shade."

'He is an artist, a dear friend. He peeks, looks around, notices, sees things twice. I asked for a story for a memorial garden. John thinks, then speaks briefly. "Some seed has to be frozen before it grows." He told of leaving a beechnut seed in the refrigerator and forgetting. The seed was frozen through the winter. It grew. Freezing breaks open the protective shell. We talked. "Some seed has to be frozen to break the shell and grow. Some seed has to go through a forrest fire."

My mother soaked some seed in water before planting. Here seems to be one of the many stories Jesus might have told which were never recorded. Seed has a shell. When broken by water in a dry land, by fire of Pentecost, or the cold of winter, it will grow.

It is true, all things work for the good when we TRUST God. The seed will grow through heat or cold or flood. TRUST THE MAKER OF THE SEED. Talk with someone who went through fire, or a hard cold spell in his or her life, and ask what good came of it.'

I couldn't have said it better!!! Lots of times I am the seed with the hard shell not wanting anyone to get to close, not wanting to feel "hurt" again. For years now I have worked on this. For years God has spoke two words into my spirit. Those two words are "Trust Me".

Have you ever felt like you have taken major steps forward in your life and the something happens and you feel like you now are two steps back? Was that God trying to break this shell that I have built up around me? Was this God putting me through fire to try to burn the shell off? Was this when God had me in His refrigerator trying to freeze me so that the shell would break open? Why am I trying to hold on to this shell so hard? Is it because it is what I know, it is because I'm comfortable?

I'm tire of this way of living. I am choosing to believe God. I want to break out of this shell and run like the wind. Okay maybe not like the wind but a gentle breeze!!! The other day I was so frustrated by my progress but today I'm excited!!! I'm walking with Jesus with my head held high and shedding pieces of my shell as I go.........

No comments: