Monday, November 17, 2008

Peacemakers

Walking with Jesus: Up the Mountain to Preach
Mark 3:13, Matthew 5:9 Jesus preaches about peacemakers

The meditation was so good today, I couldn't have said it any better so I will just write what it says( except I change we to I)....

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God"

"How would I describe the peacemakers Jesus called blessed? I might imagine them to be the people who walk gently through life, quiet the fuss around them and leave everyone happy in their wake. Would these be the ones Jesus calls the children of God?

Probably not. Jesus Himself was hardly a placid presence in His world. Certainly He healed many and no doubt kissed a few babies in His day. But He also flipped tables in the temple and publicly chastised the religious leaders. He was not above using a bit of sarcasm to make a point, and He tended to hang around with people of questionable reputations. He openly challenged the prevailing rules of His tradition. Jesus' kind of peacemaker focuses more on justice and less on pleasing powerful people or mindlessly maintaining tradition. Jesus' kind of peacemaker has a vision of a world that reflects God's mercy and God's justice for the whole creation. And, like Jesus, this kind of peacemaker is committed to a deep and lasting peace, even if it is very costly.

Can I find the courage to be such a peacemaker? Could I risk reputation, confidence, security or comfort for the sake of the good news of God's love for all? When I am full of the Spirit, when I am at my faithful best, I will. And when I fall short as I will, I can trust that Jesus will welcome me all the same, forgiven and blessed."

I'm reading The Shack and this paragraph really stood out for me..it says

"..if anything matters then everything matters. Because you are important, everything you do is important. Every time you forgive, the universe changes; every time you reach out and touch a heart or a life, the world changes; with every kindness and service, seen or unseen, my (God's) purposes are accomplished and nothing will ever be the same again."

Is my trying to be healthy something that matters to God? I believe it is. Do I believe everything I do (and say) could change a heart or a life. Yes and it will make me much more aware of every word that comes from my mouth and every action that I do. God has a purpose for my life and I believe He wants me healthy so that I can accomplished what we has for me. Can I find the courage to get healthy? Can I find the confidence, security and comfort while going though this long journey? I say long journey because I know that it won't happen over night. And when I fall short, will I let that be the end and give up or will I trust that Jesus will pick me up and let me start over? Hebrews 10:35-36 says, "Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised.

Keep Walking with Jesus......

No comments: